Martinkus was my maternal grandfather's birth name. Sauka was my maternal grandmother's maiden name. They immigrated to Massachusetts from the village of Luokė, in Telšiai County. This site documents everything I've learned on this life changing expedition.

Saturday, March 5, 2016

How Did They Meet

Today's prompt in the Fearless Female Ancestors blog series.

March 5 — How did they meet? You’ve documented marriages, now, go back a bit. Do you know the story of how your parents met? Your grandparents?

The story of how my parents and maternal grandparents met is still a bit of a mystery for me. Yesterday, I blogged about finding my maternal grandparent's marriage record from Brockton, Massachusetts. When I was looking around at census records, the 1920 census notated that my maternal grandparents arrived in the United States in 1910 and married in Brockton, Massachusetts in June 1913. I have no clue if they knew each other in Lithuania (then Russia) or if they met upon final destination in Brockton, Massachusetts.

There was a very large Lithuanian community in Brockton, Mass. back in the day. It's entirely possible they only met here in the States. But early research indicates that both of my grandparents were from the same village in Lithuania. So it may be that they agreed to meet up when they both arrived here. Or maybe they were married previously in Lithuania. Hard to know. Ongoing investigation will inform and inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment