Martinkus was my maternal grandfather's birth name. Sauka was my maternal grandmother's maiden name. They immigrated to Massachusetts from the village of Luokė, in Telšiai County. This site documents everything I've learned on this life changing expedition.

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Family Heirloom - My Maternal Grandmother

Describe an heirloom you may have inherited from a female ancestor (wedding ring or other jewelry, china, clothing, etc.) If you don’t have any, then write about a specific object you remember from your mother or grandmother, or aunt (a scarf, a hat, cooking utensil, furniture, etc.)
 
Today's prompt from Lisa Alzo's Accidental Genealogist continues the series of celebrating Fearless Female Ancestors. Actually, when you think about it, these women had to be rather fearless. My maternal grandparents traveled all the way from Lithuania to make their home in Massachusetts. I'm not sure I'd have the guts to go that far away from my homeland to make a new life. Heck, I've never lived any place else except the state of my birth, Massachusetts. So these women really were pioneers, and if it weren't for them...well you know how that goes.
 
My favorite heirlooms from my family are photos. I don't have any items such as a ring or jewelry or china, but I do have lots of photos. I've scanned in some of them.
 
 
 
This is a photo of my maternal grandmother, Barbara. She is holding my oldest sister, also named Barbara. Our grandmother passed away not long after my sister was born. So none of us ever knew her. Her husband (affectionately known as Grumpy Grampy Martin) on the other hand, lived to the ripe old age of 99. I'm hoping I have that longevity gene.
 
This looks like Barbara's christening photo. She's all dolled up in typical frilly and long white dresses that babies wear when they get baptized in the Catholic church. Come to think of it, she doesn't look all that too thrilled - she seems to be looking over for her - our - mother who is out of the photo.
 
So my family heirlooms are my family photos. I've got lots more to scan in, but this is a good start.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment